Skip to main content

Entry 4: Reflection

             Upon taking Second Language Acquisition, I thought learning a second language revolved around memorization. It wasn’t long into the course that I learned there were many aspects to learning a second language. I shortly realized that motivation, cognition, and social dimension played a huge role in SLA. Ortega (2013) states that, “Motivation is usually understood to refer to the desire to initiate L2 learning and the effort employed to sustain it, and in lay terms we all understand it to be a matter of quantity, as in the everyday observation that some learners are highly motivated and others have little or no motivation,” (p. 168) There are many forms of motivation, but  integrativeness is the form of motivation that many ELL students attain. Ortega (2013) mentions on page 170, that “Of all antecedents, integrativeness is the one that has played the most central role in the development of a theory of foreign language motivation. “…integrativeness is an attitude defined as ‘a genuine interest in learning the second language in order to come closer to the other language community” (p.170). I have learned that many ELL students develop this type of motivation because of their desire to learn and communicate with their peers. This is where the importance of social dimension comes into play.  “Second language socialization studies have further revealed that learning outcomes can be greatly improved when L2 learners are not construed as definitional novices and instead their invisible expertise is made visible during socializing events” (Ortega, 2013, p. 238). I believe socializing is important for any student whether they are ELL or not. Allowing turn-and-talks and group activities throughout the day is something I see in my current field placement every day. Students have the opportunity to learn from one another and build their socialization skills which is great for ELL students. Another thing I learned that plays a huge role in learning an L2 is cognition. “Cognition refers to how information is processed and learned by the human mind” (Ortega, 2013, p.82). The two forms of memory that Ortega mentions are working memory and long-term memory. According to Ortega (2013), working memory is where we store our information and long-term memory is how we process our learned information (p. 90). Cognition is what ties motivation and social dimension altogether, all three are needed to make the other do their job. In other words, motivation is important for one’s cognition and cognition is important for being social.
            I have had the challenging experience of learning a second language. I believe this experience has helped me to understand slightly what an ELL student goes through every day. Having the opportunity to be in the learner’s shoes has opened my eyes in a way all teachers should see. I have experienced he challenge, confusion and learning moments on an L2 learner. Because of this I will be able to include L2 learners in a more beneficial way and engage my students during lessons. I have learned first-hand that practicing, repletion and socializing were great techniques for me which are some techniques that I will someday incorporate in my own classroom.
            I found age and willingness to communicate to be the most interesting. I have always heard that you have to learn a second language at a young age in order to actually attain and understand it. In fact, according to Ortega (2013), “…contributed neurolinguistic data supporting a natural predisposition in the child’s brain for learning the first language, together with anecdotal observations that children were also adept foreign language learners, when compared to adults” (p. 12). This isn’t saying that it is impossible for adults to learn a second language, but that children’s brains simply attain a natural predisposition making learning the foreign language more accessible. I also found a person’s willingness to communicate to be quite interesting in the role of learning a foreign language. “Willingness to communicate (WTC) is defined as the self-reported likelihood for an L2 learner to want to initiate communication in the L2 when given the choice to engage in or to avoid such action” (Ortega, 2013, p.213). This was interesting to me because as a college student I have experienced moments where I want to communicate in lectors and times when I don’t. For me, those moments of me not wanting to share in discussions have a lot to do with my understanding of the content. I think that is something that many teachers should keep in mind as maybe it’s not that a student isn’t listening, they are unsure about their answer just yet.
            I think the Vblog was a great way for my peers and I to share our assignments with one another. We were able to customize and decorate our Vblogs where we shared our assignments which I thought was a great touch.  Enjoyed being able to communicate with each other and share our ideas about other people’s thoughts. I think the comments and replies we were required to do played a huge role in my learning of the content. I found it very helpful to read other people’s thoughts and opinions of something I wrote. Overall, I think the Vblog was a great tool in the learning of SLA for me.

Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.
            

Comments

  1. Great reflection. You mentioned great points and it makes me happy to see that you were able to obtain a better understanding of the complex process learning a second language implies. Exemplary entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rachel,

    I noticed you mentioned age in your reflection. I believe learning the second language during that critical period time at a younger age is when people are most successful. Something interesting that caught my eye while reading the chapter was “…adults and adolescents were better than children in terms of what they could learn in a 25-minute instruction session or up to a year of naturalistic exposure” (Ortega, 2013, p.16). While adults could pick up more in a 25-minute period, it later mentioned that the learning diminished. I have fund this to be true while taking this course because immediatly after watching the learning language videos, I pick up on alot of the new words in Spanish. After a couple of days, I slowly begin to forget the new content I learned. This is why I, like you, agree that learning at a younger age is the best thing to do.


    Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tori,

      I find this topic (age) confusing. I feel that children are more successful learning a second language during the critical period because that is all that their world revolves around. In other words, if they're learning how to speak English, they are receiving so much support and practice and are influenced by their peers during the weekday. Versus us, when we had to learn a different language, it was isolated, we watched videos and practiced but were not influenced by our peers. I saw that you mentioned that after watching the language learning videos, after a couple of days you started to forget. I feel that this happens to us because we are not constantly surrounded by the language and are not practicing it daily. It confuses me because Ortega states that "The hypothesis is that there a specific period of time early in life when the brain exhibits a special propensity to attend to certain experiences in the environment (for example, language) and learn form them" (Ortega, 2013, p.13). The key word there is hypothesis. Then she goes on to explain to us about Julie, who was successful late L2 learner of Arabic. I feel that with age, the influences around us plays a big part of it as well.

      References: Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tori,
      Ortega states that "...the bulk of language is acquired between 18 months and three to four years of age" (Ortega, 2013, p.3). I agree with you that since some people are not learning the target language during that time in their life, or within a critical period, then it is more difficult for them to learn the target language. I can relate to what you mentioned about how you would forget a few words that you had just learned while doing the language learning experience. I too experienced that throughout that assignment as well. I agree with both you, and Rachel that learning an additional language is better to do at a younger age.

      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2011. Print.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rachel,
    I really appreciated the fact that you said that some student's may not be ignoring their teacher but are simply unsure of their answer. I think that is looked over a lot by teachers and is very common with L2's. They are not always comfortable with what they are saying and being in this course you and I have had the opportunity to experience that as well. On page 71, Ortega speaks about negative feedback and how it can sometimes not come across as helpful. It is not proven to help students and can sometimes make them not want to speak more. (Ortega, 2011, pg. 71) I think if we took that aspect away and focused on the positives more students will be able to let their answers be known without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison,
      I feel that we as students can also admit to not speak up when teachers ask questions to the whole class. I definitely don’t like to answer aloud if I am not positive my answer is correct. I imagine this is how some English language learners feel as well. As teachers, we must keep in mind that ELL might feel a little intimidated and unsure about certain things so being patient would be helpful to them.

      Delete
    2. Allison,

      I agree with you that some children go through a silent phase where they do not respond to the teacher. This could be that they are unsure of their answer and I also think that teachers forget to give wait time not allowing them enough time to process and answer the questions. “New L2 knowledge is stored in the mind and has to be accessed and retrieve every time it is needed for use in comprehension or production (Ortega, 2013, p. 83).” This is why it is important for teachers to give additional wait time to ELL students because they not only have to think of the answer in their minds but they also have to translate it in their minds and be retrieved before answering.

      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

      Delete
  5. Hello Rachel,
    I like the point you made about willingness to communicate. As stated by Ortega, "[in terms of willingness to communicate] anxiety is... a contributing force or antecedent (Ortega, 2013, p. 200). I think this is important to note because second language learners can experience anxiety when talking in class because they don't want to be made fun of and are self-conscious about speaking. This is important for English as a second language teachers to know so that they can create a relaxing environment and help students who have anxiety so that they can improve on their second language learning and participation in class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Rachel, I really like the point you made about WTC and how you have related that concept to a non-second language situation. I too have had experience with wanting to share out answers when I am confident in the material, and I have been hesitant to share out answers when I am still unsure of the material, just as students experience with their L2. Ortega states, “In the L2 literature WTC has been called ‘the most immediate determinant of L2 use’ (Clément et al., 2003, p. 191), and its independence from WTC in the L1 has been firmly established by Baker and MacIntyre (2000),” (2013, pg. 2013). Different factors can affect someone’s WTC, including confidence. Students who don’t feel confident in their L2 will likely experience a lack of WTC in their L2, even if they are confident in the L1 and have high WTC in L1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Rachel,

    I see in your reflection you mentioned that motivation was a big factor in second language acquisition and I highly agree with your statement! I really liked your insight into motivation where you say that motivation partly comes from the motivation to speak with peers and Ortega states in her textbook that "integrative reasons related to identification with the target culture and a genuine desire to become more like members of the L2 group." (Ortega, pg. 173) If the students have the desire to fit in with the L2 peers and wanting to communicate with them, they will be more motivated to learn the target language. I think it is also important for teachers to realize that the student's are trying to fit in with their peers and should try to use that as an advantage in their teaching and teaching platform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment